University connect::book reviews,Living in the Light: A guide to personal transformation


  • “ In the end only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you. ” ― Anonymous

    One of the greatest essayists and lecturers to have ever lived noted, “I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

    And therein you have your answer.

    Reading has many purposes, but memorization isn’t one of them. One reads to escape the humdrum of the real life. Or to explore a fascinating part of human history, in a different era and a different area. We look up to books for comfort, for knowledge, for inspiration.

    Anything you read stays with you, even if you might not be able to exactly recollect lines from it.

    I read the Alchemist a long time ago, I barely remember a couple of lines. But the central theme (“we are in control of our destiny”) stays with me. Same goes for To Kill A Mockingbird. I still think/find that my thoughts and actions are influenced, ever so slightly, by the wisdom of Atticus Finch, or the innocence of Scout. Harry Potter taught me the value of bravery and friendship (and how the two are interlinked). Enid Blyton’s Famous 5 was a great childhood companion and I cherish every morning, afternoon, and evening spent in their company. RK Narayan’s narrative set in the rustic town of Malgudi was the perfect nostalgia trip.

    And not all books even need to have a lasting impact - if they manage to provide you an escape for the duration of your read, rile up your emotions, or make an otherwise gloomy day brighter, it’s all worth it.


  • No comments