FORM ONE ENGLISH TOPIC 6: EXPRESSING LIKES AND DISLIKES

  • Likes and Dislikes
    Express likes and dislikes
    To talk about your likes and dislikes, you can use these expressions.
    Expressing likes:
    • I like…
    • I love...
    • I adore…
    • I'm crazy about…
    • I’m mad about…
    • I enjoy…
    • I’m keen on…
    Expressing dislikes:
    • I don’t like…
    • I dislike...
    • I hate…
    • I abhor…
    • I can’t bear...
    • I can’t stand…
    • I detest...
    • I loathe...
    Example 1
    Examples of likes and dislikes:
    • I'mmad aboutbasketball, but Ican’t bearice hockey.
    • Iadorereading poetry, but Iloathedoing the housework.
    Things to remember about likes and dislikes:
    • When these expressions are followed by a verb, the latter is put in -ing form. Examples:"I like listening to music.""I hate wearing sun glasses."
    I likeVERB+ING
    I detest
    I don't mind
    • Note that"very much"& "a lot" always come after the things you like.Examples:"I like basketballvery much/a lot. NOT "I like verymuch/a lotbasketball."
    • Be careful when you use "I don't mind..."Examples:"Do you mind playing football?""No, I don't mind."(Although it's in a negative form, it means that it's ok for me. I neither love it nor hate it.)
    Dialogue:Amiri is at home. His girlfriend comes in...Notice how they express their likes and dislikes.
    Amiri:Hello, darling. Do you fancy watching a film tonight?
    Girlfriend:Oh, no thanks, I don't really feel like watching a film tonight. How about going out instead?
    Amiri:OK. Do you feel like going to the theatre?
    Girlfriend:Oh, no. I'm not in the mood for that. Do want go to the new Chinese restaurant?
    Amiri:I don't mind. Chinese cuisine is alright.
    Girlfriend:Well I really love it. Let's go.


    Talking about Preferences
    Talk about preferences
    Read the following story.
    My name is John and I like bananas and avocados. My friend Asha prefers drinking tea to coffee. My bother, Amabilis prefers travelling to staying at home all year. I prefer living in town to living in the village because we have access to more services in town.
    Exercise 1
    1. What does John's prefer to eat?
    2. What does John’s older brother prefer?
    3. Where does John prefer to live?
  • No comments